Saturday, August 4, 2007

Japan, Trip Wrap Up

Alas, the dream is over.

I will be returning from the Land of the Rising Sun to the Land of the Morning Calm (Korea) tomorrow afternoon. It has been a blessed week in Japan.

I had the opportunity to explore a small, but major part of the Kansai Region of Japan, which includes the central area island of Honshu. It is a region steeped in rich and imperiled history, with much evidence of the medieval times still evident today, a land of technology and tradition in the mix.

I toured the city of Osaka, which gives the exciting and dream-like Japanese city life image without being intimidating like the size of Tokyo. I saw the former Imperial Capital of Kyoto, where I brushed shoulders with the famous Geisha; worldwide symbols of Japanese culture, saw the famous temples of Kyoto, which are steeped in history and displayed majestic artistry. Finally my friends and I took a day trip to the green, lush hills of Nara, one of the first capitals of early Japan (the Heian Period). In Nara, my friends and I took many photos of the old Buddhist temples and shrines there, and this is an unique area where they let the native deer roam freely, giving you the opportunity to brush and stroke these docile creatures face to face. Sort of like when Adam and Eve had dominion over animals and we could interatct with them.

God has given me much reflection during my time here in Osaka/Kansai, and He has given me rejuvenation. He has allowed me to fulfill my dream to see Japan in the flesh, a feat that many people my age would eagerly desire to accomplish.

As with all great vacations, this one is coming to an end. I spent my last in Japan in Osaka, with a new friend by the name of Ok`e Atatah, a Nigerian-American who also is travelling Japan. He and I shared new experiences travelling Kyoto and Nara, and I also showed him around tonight in his first night here in Osaka. A great guy in the least, he will continue to travel Japan while I head home. I wish the best for him and his life.

It will take me time to reflect on what I think about Japan and its society, but from initial impressions, I am impressed for the most part. Its okay to make initial judgments on the surface for now, especially since I have only been here for one week. Other foreigners who have lived here for months and years can see the fineprint to really make an effort to see the underpinnings of Japanese society.

But yeah, I recommend this trip to Japan in a heartbeat. As Japan continues to beat its economic heart for the world, its worth seeing the foundations it has had in history to lead to what the nation is today.

I return back to my Motherland tomorrow, back to normal life of teaching, learning Korean, and learning about Dynamic Korea.

In the end, Japan and Korea, as neighbors and fierce rivals, could not be more dependent on one another more than ever.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger