Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back To School/What I Miss

Its back to school this week. Well, for some of these students, they never left. That's what really sucks diddily-uck about the Korean Education System: these high school kids hardly get a break. But, I'm back again, and classes started this week.



Of course, the kids are normal, hardly any changes. It felt like I saw these kids last week, the way they were behaving and what not. My schedule remains unchanged, and I'm doing a simple lesson of asking them what they did last summer and have them interview partners about their summer vacation. Many went on trips, but most stayed home and studied, or even better, played computer games all night.



Considering my classes are not worth the grade, I just roll with it and will do my best to provide them entertaining and challenging classes. I also gave them a competition to try this semester: the two best students in the entire grade, based on effort and English improvement, will win a free pizza dinner provided by me! Something to get them to make an honest effort in my class.



Mrs. Ha is gone, and in comes the replacement: Mrs. Park Myong-sun, a 27-year old woman English teacher. She's a rookie in every aspect: she just got her teaching license, and she just got married. So she's a double rookie.



And like any rookies, whether it is in the NBA or a first-year worker at any organization, she's out to impress. They have to. I am a rookie too. So she's all coming to my office like, "Oh Mark, we have to do this Lunch Club together." And I'm like: "Girl please, I've been doing this since March, I got it." (Of course, I'm thinking these thoughts) But so far, she seems nice, but she needs some work with the English fluency, and that's what I'm here for.


But life is back to normal: but what's exciting is that my parents will be coming to town next month. Finally, reunification with my family. We'll conquer Korea together, and I can show them what my life is like since leaving homeland America. I can also learn through my mom more about my family history, and gain some more insight about my relatives since she can finally translate for me.

Speaking of America, there are some things I do miss about home, and I wanted to take the time to just write about some things I miss dearly:

1. American Humor - man, I haven't had a major laugh in a while, like my "stomach-hurts" laugh. The only person who really gives me a great chuckle is Bobby, because he is American and he's funny. Other than that, only a few foreigners make me a laugh, and a handful of students at my school give me the giggles.

2. American Food - even though not the most healthy, I miss good ol' homecooked meals like mac and cheese, fried chicken, veggies, eggs, grits, breakfast food, and other good eatin's. I'm going to a Bob Evans when I get back. Of course, don't forget a good, mom-made hamburger. Man, I miss her burgers!

3. American Diversity - I kinda miss seeing different kinds of people, especially of different race, around here. The occasional foreigner here and there is fine, but I miss seeing large groups of different races milling about like in DC or at my old college.

4. The American Way - yes, we can argue to death and all night about how the American Way is decadent and all that, but from a positive and just one-sided POV, I respect the American Way. Work hard, fight to the top, and be yourself. It is a theme I have learned throughout high school and college. Basically, the American Way says, "there is no free lunch, get it yourself." It causes you to work hard and to work your way up, and those who don't put in the effort get no lunch.

5. American Landscape - goodness, I am going to miss the Maryland autumn. Its beautiful in Maryland when the leaves turn brown and red. Driving through those roads at least provided some beautiful architecture. Once I leave Incheon to see the countryside though, I heard Korea is even more gorgeous in the fall.

6. Lazy American Summers - even when I was working full-time for my internship, coming home and relax on a lazy summer night's eve was the best. Quiet, chirping insects, chilling out on the front porch on in the backyard while reading a book, or watching TV with the comfort of AC with the sunset in the background of our big window was a blast. To live in the 'Burbs is the American Dream, and to have that quiet is the best.

7. American TV - I know, you might think I'm superficial. But its nice to watch programs that are the standard for the world, except for American Idol (from England). Its also nice to watch programs in my own language again.

8. American Issues - I believe our nation is the greatest in the world, and what we stand for is valuable: power in diversity, the fight against terrorism, the fight against crime and poverty, and the fight for purpose in life, its all being fought at a major pace in America. If we can win the battle at home, we can export it abroad.

9. American Church - I miss my church family. They were kind, earnest, and strove to help me grow as a Christian. Its still great that I have my friends Becky and Trey to share my fellowship with here in Korea, but I do miss my College and Career Crew at home and the memories and spiritual warfare that we fought together. And we fought alot of battles.

10. American Friends - the power of American Friendship. I miss my brothers and sisters in Christ, we were friends in the faith. We hung out, went to eat out, chill at each other's house, went to the movies, played ball together, and shared experiences with one another. I even worked with some of my best friends. Life is about relationships, starting with yours relating to mighty God, to the best friendships you have here on earth. I hope to continue to build on mine here in Korea, but for now, it is okay to miss my homies from home.

11. The American Family - my father is from New Dehli, India. My mother, Seoul, South Korea. My brother and I are Korean-Indians, or Korindians. But we're Americans. We are proud of that. Our American experience has made us stronger, longer. We have an unique perspective on life because my father and mother worked so hard to make the American Dream come true, and they also set the standard in our lives of what is the Godly life all about. We experienced prejudice and ignorant comments, and those incidences in the past only serve to protect me and empower me more. We are a unit, a team for life. No one can take that away...

But...I like living in Korea.

1 comment:

Sean said...

"...Or watching TV with the comfort of AC with the sunset in the background of our big window was a blast."

Uhh sir, I'm pretty sure you're NOT thinking about our house with the A/C on.

You embellished just a tad there.

Aniki

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger