Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Japan Part 3: Kyoto and Peace

I arrived in Kyoto, and all I can say is one thing: peace.

Kyoto, even though it has shopping centers, is not as big as Osaka. It is the renowned former Imperial Capital of Japan, so it retains many of its essences from the olden Medieval Heian and Edo Periods.

We are staying in the Gion District, which is home to the renowned Geisha Entertainment Quarter. I spotted a few, and even talked to one because I was looking for our hotel.

I also met a fellow traveler by the name of Ok`e, who is an American from Houston. He was the coolest cat because he has a personality similar to one of my dear college friends at home, so it was nostalgia walking around this dude while sharing our experiences of Japan.

The Gion Quarter is very old, wooden, and retains a style of peace to it. Old style tea shops, antiques, and of course, bars and restaurants line the area. Many businessmen flock to the area to be entertained by the famous Geisha.

The Geisha themselves are like what you see on TV: mysterious, quaint, and doll-like creatures that skip around in wooden block shoes and gorgeous assortment of Kimonos, catering to their various stops around town. They are trained conversationalists (meaning they make jokes with their clients, and know how to carry on conversations), musicians, and party starters.

But the highlight of my whole experience so far in Japan was something that I have been looking for the whole time: more peaceful environments.

Ok`e took me to this hilltop in Gion where he found this really awesome temple with lanterns all over the place. It was absolutely stunning. There was a nearby river where the water trickled with ease, and a white duck resting in the tranquil water. The trees softened with the light breeze, while the bugs chirped for the while, and lanterns blazed Asian style. This was true Asia, and my dream came true.

My friend and I were just enjoying the night, conversing and taking lots of photos of this place. It was mostly to ourselves, it felt absolutely great to get out of big cities like Incheon, Osaka, and enter this place of rest. It was quiet.

That is what vacation is all about.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger