Thursday, August 23, 2007

Back To Japan Moments: The Peace

I was thinking about some cool moments from my trip to Japan the other day. Man, what a vacation! And there were plenty:

The Coffee Shop. I remember my friend O and I were trekking around Kyoto, trying to find some cool spots to hit up. Then the inevitable came: rain. With a huge typhoon outside neighboring Kyushu (August is typhoon season for the Japanese), we were getting some of the leftovers as it was sailing over the East Sea towards Hokkaido, and it hit Kyoto.

So we're scrambling for cover as we're running around the Gion District (home of the Geisha), and we popped into a Starbucks. With the rain pounding the windows, nothing was more peaceful than to chill at a coffee shop, as O and I shared our lives and backgrounds. We even got to share our experiences when it came to the meaning of life, and I had the gracious opportunity given by God to share the Gospel with him and tell him why I found true life in it. All with a cup of "joe." Peace.

Nagai Botanical Gardens. In Osaka, James picked out our next tourist spot on the map, the Nagai Botanical Gardens in South Osaka. I figured, why not? I haven't been to see actual flowers in ages (Incheon is devoid of them for some reason). So we went. And there was hardly anybody there. It was 2PM, everyone is at work, its a weekday, and hardly a soul in sight. Trees. Gorgeous flowers and plants. The hot sun. Flowers in bloom, the stillness of the water bringing a stirring aura of calmness around the area. Carp and turtles dishing about. Not a soul in sight. Peace.

The World Trade Center, Osaka. On a Wednesday night in Osaka, we decided to hit up the World Trade Center in Osakako. We towered to the final floor of the building to behold something great. What a grand site: the whole city on display, lights blaring, and the red ferris wheel shining bright amongst the backdrop. Peace.

The Mysterious Temple on the Hill, Kyoto. One night, I decided to go solo and check out Kyoto for myself. I found this really neat temple on the side, right outside Gion. It had several Japanese-style buildings around it, with the big temple smack dab in the middle. I walked, and pictured myself as a samurai contemplating. Dream come true. Peace.

Videogames in Dotonbori, Osaka. So nerdy of me to write this, but why not? I got to play videogames from the land that made them! I got to play a racing game against O, played some Virtua Fighter 5, and played some shooting games, what fun! You think you can beat me? Peace.

The Cruise around Osaka Bay aboard the Santa Maria. Outside Osaka Bay, we boarded the Santa Maria, a Spanish-replica of the famous mother ship, and cruised around the area. A nice, but not too hot day, we got to see the various sights the bay area had to offer. It was sunny, and it was really great to feel the sea breeze on our faces. I came away more tanner than before (if possible). Peace.

Shinsekai, Osaka. One of the tightest shopping districts in Osaka, it just feels Japanese. I remember asking a woman for directions, and even though I had no clue what she was saying because she thought I was Japanese, but what cracked me up was that her Japanese seemed "off." Then I figured it out: she was speaking in "Osaka-ben," or the Osakan Dialect. We walked around just scoping the place, taking money shots with our Digi Cams and going to work. Peace.

So these moments of peace, how did I get them? Simple. You can get peace from any moment, but the key thing is where it is inspired from. Moments of peace last moments, but for some reason, this vacation seemed God-given. Those moments of peace were more like refreshers and peace. We all strive to seek for it, but few find it. I thank God for His grace...and peace.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger