Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Haka

Check this video out, it'll pump you up for the day! It is called a "Haka."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PFWccDJa4XY

The Haka is a traditional Maori dance. There are many variations, but the most famous ones are the "war" kinds. This video has the famous New Zealand Rugby team, called the "All Blacks," performing this war dance before every international rugby match.

The other day, I was preparing a lesson for next week's classes, with the theme being Australia and New Zealand. I'm going to do a few lessons on "Foreigners in Korea," to teach kids how to interact and talk to foreigners when they meet them.

So I did some research on New Zealand, and of course, the Maori culture is still prevalent in their society. I typed in All Blacks Rugby on YouTube, and this video pops out. I never been so pumped up!

To some people, these Kiwis seem too crazy just for this sport, but I think, after seeing this for the first time in my life, is one of the coolest traditions in sports. Other sports have their team huddles and they say, "1-2-3 Wizards!" or something like that, or some teams do a dance and jump around, but these Kiwis and Maoris know how to do it!

I liked this little pump up session because it just tries to impose fear and stand up against the opposition. Of course, the Kiwis don't perform this to start an early fight with their rivals. They actually do this for tradition and a "welcome" to their opposing team.

I also personally like this war dance because for me, its very empowering. Stand up to the opposition and show them early you won't be pulled down. Its a fight everyday, especially with the decisions I make. Its either my flesh or the spirit. When I spend time with the Lord, and I obey Him, its like I am doing a Haka against the Devil's lies and the opposition I face everday.

"Ka mate, ka mate, ka ora!"

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger