Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Goodbye

So, I said goodbye to the students at a Farewell Ceremony.

In these ceremonies, they introduce the outgoing teachers, such as myself, and then they introduce the incoming teachers who come from other schools. The girls were "oooing" and "aweing" about who was leaving and who was going.

I was genuinely sad today as I walked out the gym, three my years of my life in a foreign country...yet life goes on.

What impact have I made on this school? Have I done anything special for this school? Who knows. I can't tell.

Yet I am reminded of one verse...John 3:30.

"He must become greater, I must become less." This is in reference to John the Baptist, who paved the way for the Savior to come. Jesus was on a mission, John was his messenger. John had absolute joy (verse 29) that He was coming.

Even though I'm was not the perfect teacher to begin with and made many mistakes as a person, I hope that Jesus Christ was represented in my time here. I hope the students understand that English is the way not to a prosperous future. Rather, English should be a tool to communicate with new friends.

My father told me to never look back in life, bu to keep moving forward in Christ. I will not dwell on the past, but being reminded of the past is not a bad thing. I hope and pray that I'm being shaped into His image more and more. I had a fun, grand time here. Its the perfect time to leave.

The memories, the hopes and dreams of my students, the fun times...I will never forget. The pain and the struggles of being a foreigner in my mother's country...priceless. The conflicts with myself and with others only to discover what God wants me to do in these situations...great. The total mission of being a representative of the Kingdom of Heaven...eternal.

If you want to see how I want to be remembered, check out this song by Steve Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRK2Y1cZaME

You'll get the point.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger