Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Beautiful Game Has a Black Eye

With all the hype coming up for the World Cup next year in South Africa, one might become excited as the final teams finish out the qualifying stages to see who is going to the Prom of Soccer.

Los Yankee Boys will be joining their Mexican and Honduran qualifiying partners as they take on the rest of the world in their next World Cup Challenge. We have a great and talented team this year, considering they almost defeated the Brazilians in the Confederations Cup this past summer and upset defending Euro Champs on their way to the finals. We got some evidence to back it up.

Heck, the All Whites, aka New Zealand, a country known for its fearsome rugby thugs, the All Blacks, will be joining their Down Under cousins the Aussies in WC 2010, and both Koreas will be in the same competition, adding more spice to the Footballing Stew.

Then there's the French. O Boy. Their November 18th qualifier will be probably one of the most controversial in history, a huge "*" goes on the side as the Hand of Thierry bats the ball...twice...to help keep the ball in play and narrowly escape defeat at the hands of the Irish. No luck of the Irish on this one, they got a load of garbage on their doorstep for this one.

The Irish fought hard both games, but they came up short. For their efforts, they got robbed, like someone passed GO on Monopoly and not only took $200, but they busted open the jail and got everybody out robbed. And those thugs took everybody else's $200. It must be really awful how the Irish got robbed on that one.

See in professional basketball and in American football, refs can look at the plays and they can check if someone goofed up. It's not that hard. Its called "pause," look at a camera and do your best to make a call. Its pretty blatant when THE ENTIRE WORLD can see a handball and the whole Irish team are in your face if they saw something.

Its like if someone told me that I had a big zit on my face the day I have to give a press conference to release my new CD, and they are pointing to me and showing me exactly where to crush the manifestation of oil and skin suicide. But I refuse to look at a mirror. Because someone says something to me, I don't have to believe them. They can make all the hand motions they want and say I have a zit, but I can ignore them all they want. But doesn't make sense if there are a whole rack of people seeing a target market on my face, wouldn't I want to check?

Henry, I felt bad for the guy. I probably would have batted the ball with my hand too. But I would also expect the referee and his team to do their job and make the right call too, and Henry wouldn't have been in this predictament.

Thanks to this incident, even though I am big fan of soccer, I am a little bit sore at FIFA and in the game in general.

This plate of "missing the point" mixed with unfairness feels like the game that people can get away with stuff.

Until the WC, I'll be paying attention to the NBA for a while.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger