Saturday, May 17, 2008

Rock On!

So, I'm back to the thick of teaching my ladies for the second half of this semester. Its been a fun experience.

So we did a class on "characteristics" recently, and one of the games for our vocabulary building is to have the kids post the new words onto the board to the right category. For example, "button" goes with "nose," and "slender" goes with "face." So, why the kids at each table were anticipating where each words goes, I blasted some Relient K music to get them going.

Relient K is a famous Christian rock band, which also has garnered much success in the mainstream culture. They are known for their stand for Christ's Truth, their discussion of emotional and life issues, and of course, their driving, powerful, fun, and absolutely great rock music.

I played the song called "Pressing On," a lead-off song from their 2001 album. It has a driving guitar melody, and a great set of lyrics that help motivate you to get off your chair and "press on."

I used the song for each class to do the activity, and one student, Ji-yong, from class 1-10, personally asked for the song title and band. She really liked the song. Then I used the song as an English tool for my after-school class yesterday, and it was such a huge hit. The ladies absolutely loved it. I taught them the phrases from the song such as "Pressing On" and "Keeping My Head Straight." It had a real positive theme about dropping your stresses of life and just to keep going, also with the idea that God is there for you every step of the way.

After we did our English conversation exercises, they asked to listen to the song again. Even better, I let them watch the music video online, which they really liked (cuz the ladies were digging the lead singer's looks, figures). But they just liked the concept of giving up the weight on your shoulders and doing what you have to do to make things work in your life.

So, I want to say thank you to Relient K for being a great ESL tool. They worked well last year when I taught my boys during the after-school sessions, and now my ladies are a fan of this hit Christian group. My strategy throughout the year is to use more of these Christian hits that use truth to let them know that there is a Savior that loves them.

"Pressing on, pressing on, my distress is going, going, gone..." (Pressing On, Pressing On)

The next song I'm going to use, which is perfect for a discussion on fashion, is "Picture Perfect," by Michael W. Smith. Talk about an oldie...

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger