Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Movements in Korea

So there was a big election today. Unless some major fiasco hits, the winner will be a conservative candidate by the name of Lee Myeong-bak, a former mayor of Seoul. His whole platform is to transform the South Korean economy to become the 7th biggest in the world. Right.

Thanks to Election Day, it was a day off for the majority of the country, including myself, so I went to COEX Mall in Seoul for some shopping. After a few hours loafing around there (and not buying anything), I found myslf fighting a sea of people. It was a day off, and with Christmas right around the corner, I'm here in an exodus of materialistic eye-shoppers storming the gates. They just kept coming in waves and waves, so I essentially had it with the density and rushed back home. I was like, "I'm out yo!"

Home sweet home. Its kinda funny even though Korea is not my permanent home, my apartment is sort of my refuge. That's what a home is, even though I'm not a family man yet, a home is a place where you are more than welcome and there is peace. You can be yourself and God makes my home. I like that concept of "home." I hope to build a home with God in the center one day me-self.

In other news concerning my contract situation, I've decided to re-sign for one more year in the school program. However, the biggest development in my free agency is that I requested a "trade," or asked for a transfer to go to another school.

I told my VP this past week about my decision, and if things go well, I'll be looking at a new school next year.

It was really a tough decision, something I have been mulling over for months, literally. I almost wanted to opt out and pursue Korean language learning at an accredited university, but with grad school plans in the works, saving cash money and travelling is a better pursuit for now. The Lord might open new doors in the future here in South Korea, but I feel confident in this decision.

In the end it came down to experience. I know my time in East Asia will not be forever, so I had to think about priorities and my effectiveness as a teacher. Staying at this high school has so many advantages: I know the staff, the teachers, and the students, and I know what the program is like. I have my apartment. I know the area.

However, moving to another school means a risk. A risk of going into a less-supported English program, not-so-supportive staff, or a student body that is generally not English-tuned. I have to start over at a whole new place. But risk is always a part of life, and as a born-again Christian, "all things work together for those who love God." (Romans 8:28)

I'm not worried about the future as I'm moving on. I still have 2 months left to finish up at this school, so there is plenty of time to improve my skills as a teacher, to prepare for future plans, and to continue to learn Korean language and culture. Ultimately, two months where God can still use me a vessel of light to the people I encounter at my school.

In other cool news, I won a small second place prize for an essay contest for English teachers. It was a contest about English Education in Korea, so it was nice to see my writing skills pay off.

Have a great week.

1 comment:

ke said...

Marky,
I want to read what you wrote. Email it to me! ^^

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger