Saturday, December 8, 2007

M. Soni Mulling Future

By Anono J. Mus
The News Network

ESL rookie #20 Mark P. Soni, drafted straight out of the University of Maryland in 2006 into the EPIK Proram (English Program in Korea), is currently working for the premier institution Yeonsu High School in Incheon, South Korea. He is nearing the end of his first contract, which terminates next March 2008. The rising star is mulling his future options.

Soni, a 23-year old young man from the great state of Maryland, is enjoying his first experience as a rookie teacher at an all-boys high school, but he has to make the decision to re-sign or move on.

"Its definitely a tough decision. I don't want to say anything on the record, but for now I am looking at other options to see what's out there," says Soni.

Soni is a restricted free agent, which in sporting terms means that he can look at other schools and perhaps sign with a new school, but cannot be guaranteed a new contract. However, with the limited availability of new slots on schools' ESL rosters and the demand to fill in those new roster spots, as a restricted agent he could be on the same Yeonsu High School English Department next year.

"Something similar happened in the NBA this past year. Milwaukee Bucks ball player Charlie Bell was in the same situation in the summer of 2007. He wanted a change in scenery, to have a fresh start as a player, so he originally signed with the Miami Heat this past summer. But since he was a restricted free agent, his original team still retained his rights and chose to match the Heat's offer, so he ended up staying with his original team," analyzed Soni. "Basically, that means that if God wants me to stay at this school, He'll just simply shut the other doors and match the offer."

"It'll be nice to spicen up my experience and switch schools, to work with a whole new set of kids, and to become a better teacher, but ultimately, I want to use this experience of living on my own and to grow, which is why I am here."

Soni has no regrets about his experience at Yeonsu High School. Struggling early as a rookie teacher, he found out many new things about Korean education such as student learning styles, disciplining tough students, and finding teaching methods that are more effective to keep their interest.

"Regardless of what I tried, it was a take and give experience. There were some things that I would not give up as a teacher, such as teaching them about culture, even though they were not in a lick interested. But there were some things I did give up, such as forcing some kids to try English even though they have no interest or were too shy to try. I started to relax my style and started to have more fun with my boys, and that's the way to do it," reminisced Mark.

The future is not limited. Soni recently got a new kind of Visa, which grants him stay here in South Korea for two years instead of one. He will not be limited to just teaching jobs in the future.

"Right now, I'm not in a rush. God wants me to grow slowly but effectively, and I feel that if I try to jump into a new kind of job outside of teaching, it'll be too quick. The ESL field is one of the more relaxed jobs in the world with alot of benefits...I can't complain."

So which school will Mr. Soni end up next term? Depends on who he signs with, but His Agent knows for sure.

"I'm hoping and praying for a new situation. Its not that my current school stinks, because its a great school, they have some of the best students around. Yet I think it will be good for the school and for me to move on...but who knows the future?"

Yet His Agent, God, had this to say:

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have called according to His purpose." There is no limit for our rookie.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger