Saturday, November 24, 2007

Back Again

Man, its been a while since I did this blog! Thank the Internet filter at my work! But, its good to be back again to update on what's real here in Incheon, SK.

Lately, I've been teaching a myriad of lessons via PowerPoint, talking about weather and Thanksgiving. Both lessons went down really well, despite the fact they are boys who can't sit still for a moment. I've been also teaching my evening class with the 2nd level (juniors) students, as well as my favorite ajumma class on Friday afternoons.

Outside of school I've been staying indoors, reading books, studying Korean and for fun, Japanese (just the Hiragana script), spending time with my aunt's family weekly, and hanging out with my friends Dave and James. I'm starting to establish my own routine.

My friend Bobby, famous Bobby with his goofy self, is opting out of his contract real soon to pursue a new life in...Kenya. He met his future wife in Kenya, so he will be leaving Korea real soon to take over his future brother-in-law's PC Cafe. For him, "Africa is a place where he feels the most peace." I say good luck to you, my friend.

Last week, I went to another trip to Busan, doing more sightseeing and spending time with a friend down there. I visited President Syngman Rhee's former presidential house, the Chungyeolsa (a shrine dedicated to the fallen Koreans during the invasion of Japan from 1592-1598), and the UN Cemetary. All were great pieces of history that bring out the worst and best out of the human experience.

School is going well, especially with the national SAT's finished, our senior students can breathe with some relief, even though test scores are nail-bitingly being checked to the dotted i. Also, sooner and sooner I am inching towards the end of my first contract, and I am right now in the process of making a decision towards the future. In due time, the right path will come, but there are alot of factors that will come with that decision.

The semester has not been that bad, and I'm just trying my best to improve as a teacher. One thing I'm proud that God is doing in me is my disciplining skills. When I first started this gig, I was very scared to discipline kids because I'm naturally a gentle guy, I don't like conflicts. I don't like getting angry or going out of my way to put my foot down. But sometimes, with the way kids behave, especially boys, they cry for discipline. I used to not like it when others say, "young people ask for discipline," but I'm starting to see how it works.

So, I've been putting down my authority on my students who have no interest in the class, which is fine, not all kids are going to learn English, but its the kids who try to distract others or do things that are clearly out of line. I gave "red cards" (just like soccer) this week to kids who cussed in English during class, and one to a kid who kept making a mess out of the English Zone. What intimidates them is when I talk to them after class, because I turn on my angry voice.

As one teacher taught me, "be firm, but be fair." That's how the game goes. I discipline kids with the chance for redemption. Just like how God does to us: he disciplines those he loves.

Outside of the teaching realm, I've been following my favorite sport...basketball. The NBA is in full swing, and my Wizards made a full recovery to start the season 6-6, but with Gilbert Arenas out for a few months, things are not going to look great for a while. We need him as a leader and a scorer. Thanks to the Internet, I can keep up with the pleasures of home with a touch of the mouse.

So, as fall goes into more chillier temps and the nights come closer, I continue this journey to maximize my experience in East Asia by seeking God and becoming a better man.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger