Friday, July 27, 2007

Vacation/Mrs. Ha is Gone

Yo,

I finished two weeks of Yeonsu High School summer camps. First week for first-level students, second week for the second lev homies.

Let me tell you, I never had a relaxing two weeks of school in my life. I come into work at 9AM as usual, but I don't have classes till 2PM. So I go in, eat breakfast (usually bread), go work out in our school's little gym that we have, then take a fresh shower in our remodeled teachers bathroom. Come back, sit on the Internet for a few hours, prepare lesson plans, and chill till the kids come to the classroom.

Camp was easy and fun. I played lots of games with them and taught them about the cultures of England and America. My goal for camp was not to teach them anything related to English: just get them to try their English. In other words, camp was more about coaxing them to spit some words together.

The second week with the second "lev" kids was even more fun because of the fact that most of the kids in there I did not even know at all. That means new personalities. There was one kid in particular, named Na Hang-mook, who was eager to try his English and really did a good job of getting involved in the games and activities that I had planned. Then two of my Garbages attended camp: Kevin and Handsome Man. Handsome Man deemed himself that name because, he believed he is handsome. The kids around him gave him a booing of a lifetime (or as the British say, "Gave him stick.")

My co-teachers, Mrs. Ha nad Mrs. Jina, were tight. They are helpful with every activity I have. Having 12-15 students instead of the usual platoon of 40 was a blessing too: I had no disciplining problems whatsoever.

Speaking of Mrs. Ha, unforunately she will be leaving Yeonsu High School in August. She is going on an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to travel to the United States for English studies at Concordia University. I am really happy for her and her two daughters (her husband can't go), because they will all get the education of a lifetime.

I gave her and her family during dinner a brief cultural outline of what American life is like: such as how Americans are more outgoing, are more about individuality and private life/freedom, and the American Dream. I really hope and pray for the best of blessings on their year long excursion. It was good that she and I got along well to the point that we shared some things with one another, and not just have the usual platonic relationship as fellow co-workers.

As for me, I'm going on my vacation of a lifetime: Japan. Seriously, this is a dream come true, one of the places "I wanted to see before I die kinda thing." Throwing out the whole infamous WWII atrocities and war mongering Japan-era, Japan is a very enchanting land for me. Growing up on videogames, Japanese-influenced anime and cartoons, Samurai culture, its internal struggles and history (which coincides alot with our Korea), its a land that I am very curious about.

Its going to be one interesting excursion to see the sights and see the minute similarities and differences between two East Asian giants. I am excited to get lost, to get language befuddled all over again (but willing to try to speak their language), and see some new culture.

So pray for me as I embark to the Land of the Rising Sun, as I leave the Land of the Morning Calm tomorrow morning from Incheon International Airport and travel to Kansai International Airport in Osaka.

Sayonara! Ja! Nihon-ae kaimas!

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger