Monday, July 30, 2007

Japan, Osaka Part One

Yeah, James and I arrived safely here in Osaka. We got here around 2:30PM last night (Sunday).

Again, the excitement in being in a new Asian country rubbed me all over. What blew my mind initially was the fact that here are some more Asians, but this time something different is coming out of their mouth, Japanese.

We are staying in the center part of Osaka, called Dotonbori, a huge entertainment and shopping district. Osaka is famous for its cuisine, and James and I already tried some udon noodles, which came to our liking.

I spent most of the night yesterday exploring Dotonbori and taking lots of photos. To sum it up, Japan feels like Korea in many regards, but fast-foward the action x3. Lots of lights, advertisements, gawdy fashion statements (in many ways, bad fashion statements), consumerism, and Asian flashiness. In other words, it is everything I expected of Japan.

What is different totally are the Japanese people: they are in many regards inherently built different from their Korean counterparts. Many people who are not knowledgeable about the intricate workings of Asian nations think that all Asians look the same, act the same. After travelling to this nation, even after one day, I found the previous statement totally false.

For one, I concluded that Japanese people are a very reserved people. Subways, streets, and alleways, even though they scream a loud and vibrant city life here in Osaka, the Japanese have a sense of restraint and control to their lives. In Korea, Koreans are a passionate, lively folk. Talking about life, from its deepest issues to the most miniscule details such as what you are going to eat, Koreans can chat it up with a fiery disposition.

Watching the Japanese people however, they seem more calmer in demeanor. I would not say quiet, but a sense of stoicism. "Samurai like?" Maybe.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Japanese people do look different than their Asian counterparts. In my opinion, Japanese people for the most part tend to have stronger features to their eyes, nose, and face shape. More refined than their Korean counterparts. In more detail, Japanese men have longer faces than their Korean rivals, and Japanese women tend to have a more rounder, bolder look to their facial features, whereas Korean women have a more softer facial regime. Of course, I am Asian, so I know some of you will not get what I am talking about because I grew up around many Asian folk, but take what I say with some consideration, we do not all look "look alike," even though Chris Tucker from Rush Hour 2 might say so! Also, many Japanese boys and girls are DARK! Especially in the summer, many walk around with really dark skin, so I fit in really easy! I even had one Japanese ajumma ask me directions on the subway, and I was like, "Foo! I am not Japanese!" I could easily fit in here, and I can see why some of my Korean students confused me for Japanese.

So, James and I spent yesterday and today exploring a great amount of Osaka. It is just another major metropolitan city, but the Asian quality and the many old tourist sites are very attractive plus to visit. We visited Osaka Castle, the Osaka Museum of History, the Kaiyukan Aquarium, took a tour of Osaka Bay, and visited the Umeda District, which is one of the biggest shopping districts in downtown Osaka. Tomorrow, we hope to conquer more museums and visit some old temples to check out architecture.

Vacation rocks. I am trying to enjoy every moment in this place, but to be aware not to take a "break" from my spiritual walk with Jesus Christ either. Life goes on in every facet of life, and vacation becomes more stronger and more relaxing when I maintain that spiritual life line with the Lord, the ultimate reviving medicine.

So tomorrow is another full day in this city, and I am out until the next time we find another PC Cafe here in Japan.

"O yasumi nasai," - good night in Japanese.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger