Thursday, April 26, 2007

Profilin' the Classes, Part Deux

Back to work:

1-8: Teacher - Ms. Park Hyun-mi. This is one of my favorite classes to teach. I have characters in this class: I have "Armani," a boy with thick glasses who does not look that Korean, he could pass off as an American (he has Asian features, but he's not as Korean looking as the other boys), I have "Doug," a tall boy who does not shut up, "Pudgy" a pudgy boy who has a good sense of humor, and "Smarty," another homeboy who pays attentions and actively participates, its fun with these guys. "Armani" is one of my favorite students (he gets his namesake because he sports a gym shirt that reads "Armani." He tries, he pays attention, and he's funny. He's loud, he has attitude, he has goof. You need one of these guys to highlight your day. The rest of the class is fun, loud, and they are respectful all in one. How does it feel when you walk into the class and on the board in big, English letters, there is a huge message: "TEACHER! WE LOVE YOU!" Its nice to be loved.

1-9 and 1-10: Teacher - Mrs. Elizabeth. Mrs. Liz is a special teacher to me. We teach two classes together, Monday and Tuesday respectively. She's the only teacher whom I have personally got to know in the past month, and she has shared much about her life through her writing (for her graduate work) and through lunch-time conversation. She's an honest, hard-working woman who desires peace in her life, but she is too busy to get it. She's a housewife, a teacher, and a graduate student, and she's Korean. That means she has hardly any time for herself. She is an atheist, but at the same time she's searching for truth, and I have spoken with her several times why I believe Christ can give her the constancy (..."sweet constancy..." for you Simpsons' fans) and peace that she desires in life. She's really receptive of what I have to say, and I too when it comes to listening to her problems and her drive to become a better English speaker and mother.

Her classes are not too special however, they're just...there. No characters, just normal kids who do what they're told and do it right. The occasional loud kid, but its pretty much a normal set of classes. This past week, Mrs. E came in with a bad headache and tired eyes, so I let her go back to her office so she can finish her work, and for the first time, I ran the class by myself. I must say, not too bad for my first time gunning it solo.

1-11 and 1-12: Teacher - Mr. Oh Yong-jin. Mr. Oh is a nice man. His language skills are not the best yet, but he's the head of the English department and does a good job of running it and gunning it. His classes are on Mondays, so we teach twice in one day together. Well, let me phrase it again, I TEACH twice a day. Mr. Oh usually sits in the back and let me do my thing. Some foreign teachers don't like this, but I'm always a laid-back character and I try my best to adjust to whatever work situation I'm given unless its absolutely impossible.

1-13: Teacher - Ms. Lee Su-jong. Tied for worst class with 1-7, but I think 1-7 is in the lead. But this class is just loud. Its hard to get a lesson done in her class. Its ironic that 1-13 has the "unlucky 13" digit with it, but I kid, but sersiously sometimes, I want to take a volume button to turn them down!

As for the teacher, Ms. Su-jong is the youngest teacher at Yeonsu High School, a mere 23-year old Inha University grad who is talented and hard-working, and her English language skills are superb, she sounds very American-ish. She really looks like a high school girl because she's so young. When I walk by her individual classes, she's always wearing a mic to help her teach because it is a pain to shout in the class.

Yet in the end, she just can't control the class, and neither can I, why? We're both young. But its cool that I have one ally in the class, a young boy who helps me control the class by shouting "SHUT UP!" in Korean to the other kids, and I get the job done, finally. Don't get me wrong, I like the kids, they just too active for their own blood. It does not help that they just ate lunch, and go out to the field to play soccer, where they come back sweaty and energized, and their English levels are generally poorer than other classes. Three factors like these make one interesting class. :-P

1-14 and 1-15: Teacher - Mrs. Kim Jin-ah. These two are on the top of the list of the "Fave Classes" to teach. Two factors: intelligent kids and a great teacher. The kids in her classes just are special. They pay attention and they know what I'm saying...which is rare. I usually repeat myself three times for other classes, but these boys are on the ball as long as I speak slowly, they know what I'm saying and doing. Mrs. Kim is a veteran, just like Gary Payton in basketball, she knows how to teach and has experience. She gives me tips and advice, and she's a calming presence in and out of the classroom. I have never a difficult time in these classes, which is a blessing by God.

Conclusion? I'm a teacher, I have to improve my techniques, and the key to survival is "adapation and improvisation," in the words of Morpheus from "The Matrix" series. Some classes are an absolute blast because I can be outgoing and be direct with my speaking and teaching, some are more challenging because I have to be slower and be firm with the wacky students. Overall, I enjoy this job, and I get paid mostly for a role that is more representative and a role model then hands-on teaching. As in the words of my friend James. St. Clair, "to be an ambassador of America" to these kids who have never been out of their country.

Next week I have the week off because the kids have mid-term exams (but I still have to come to school), so I can take some R&R...finally! This week has been longer than usual because the kids and teachers alike are stressed for the upcoming exams. As for me, I'm a glorified tape recorder!

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger