Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Being Half-Korean: "I'm not Korean, I'm SUPER Korean!"

I am enjoying Korea. I like my teaching job, I like my students, I like my co-workers, I love my family, and I like this experience. This is all God-given, so that means He is teaching me in the process some valuable lessons, lessons to better my character and to trust in Him. I become less, He becomes strong, I become invincible.

So, as you know, I am a mixed-race Korean. Korea is a nation, both North and South, that prides itself on its homogeneous race. That means the Korean genetic stock is very limited when it comes to physical characteristics. Hence, the old adage that all "Asians look alike." This might sound mean, but after working a month at this school, there are few students who I can tell apart because of their similar traits, but that's changing. I offended one student tonight because he told me I keep saying "nice to meet you" when I have talked to him several times before. Ooops.

However, I don't look Korean. My father is Indian, so I retain many characteristics that are from my father's side, and on the other hand I retain some characteristics from my mom's side of the family. I have my mother's eyes, my dad's skin, Korean hair, my Indian grandfather's nose, so I am hodge-podge of beautiful.

When I was a kid, I always grew up thinking that all Koreans are the same, regardless of race or mix. That's because I grew up in a military family, which many military families tend to be very diverse anyway, so I always thought it if I was teased in school for being Asian (in America), maybe I could go to Korea to fit in. Not the case.

I'm not going into details, but the major point is that in the past, and now decreasingly in the present, mixed-race Korean children are looked down upon or looked at with surprise. In a totally Confucian society like Korea, one element that Koreans try to possess is their pure race. It's something that they always want to maintain as an identity to their nation. Japan is similar; China somewhat (I always thought China is always mixed because of the many ethnic groups in their nation).

So, coming to Korea was a big step not only because I came on my own, but I am a foreigner. Yet at the same time, this place does feel like home to me, because I have Korean in my blood, and my family is here too, which is something that is a huge blessing. I am proud of my Korean heritage, and its an honor that God has infused this special race into my blood. The same with my Indian heritage. Someday I will make a trip to India too, to see the places where my father grew up.

Yet, one challenge I face is my identity. I am an American to these students, even though it took time for them to learn that because they see foreigners as white people only. Now, one thing that is slowly creeping around school is questions about my true "identity." Rumors are spread, and some people are curious, which does not bother me. One teacher, the Chinese language teacher, Ms. Lee, supposedly leaked to the kids that my mother is Korean.

Tonight, I was working late because I wanted to finish up my lesson before I head off to an orientation/teachers' conference next week in downtown Incheon. Earlier that day, after the school lunch club, a boy came up to me, and asked me very innocently: "Mr. Soni, is your mother Korean?" He just asked, nothing wrong.

I looked at him with a curious face back. Like I mentioned before, I only told certain teachers and Destroyer who I really am. You might be wondering why would I want to conceal this fact in the first place. For one thing, it is NOT that I am ashamed of being mixed blood: as a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, my race is inherent before the day God created me, He knew even before time again who I was. His will is perfect. I love being unique, as God created me, and also created everyone else to be unique and perfect in His will.

However, my issue is what will the kids do when they find out: I'm not afraid of possible rejection (which I highly doubt), but perhaps would they want to speak more Korean to me instead of English? Or, will this possibility open doors to a new respect and friendship with the students? Or will they look at me differently because I am mixed? These questions run through the head of your hero.

Many mixed Koreans who actually live in Korea live with this stigma that they are not wanted or are not given the same respect as "normal" Koreans. My family is no problem, they love me for who I am. My issue is will Koreans in general grow up and start opening their eyes to mixed Korean people, see their true value, and start to change? With people like Hines Ward, Lee Soon-ee (a black/Korean singer), Daniel Henney (a half-white, half-Korean model/actor), and Denis Kang (martial arts), who are mixed Koreans, making impact in the eyes in Korean media, things will be changing. They have to change! If not, then more and more foreigners will start to dislike this nation because its still being the "Hermit Kingdom" that it was donned a century ago. One of the biggest gripes of foreigners in Korea, including myself, is Koreans inability to treat foreigners with fairness because they are not "in" their society, even when you make an attempt to learn their language, culture, and society.

But to sum this blog up, I write this because I have been thinking about this issue alot lately. I don't tell any of my kids of my race because I want them to find out. In other words, I want them to stop assuming and come up to me and get to know the real me. Sooner or later, they will all find out, its just a matter of time, but for now, I want them to ask.

I echo the words of Denis Kang, who is a K-1 Fighter of monstrous strength (His father is Korean and mother is French), and very famous in Korea, because it sums up who I am in this society:

"I am not Korean. I am SUPER Korean." Bam. Just like I am not ashamed of my Savior in Jesus Christ, I am not ashamed of being what God wanted me to be...Beautiful!

Your thoughts please.

4 comments:

Monica Kim said...

hey there beautiful

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Kuya! I saw your mom a couple weeks ago and she wanted me to tell you that she loves you very much!! awww :-p
Anyways, about your entry: I recently befriended a half-white/half Korean boy. We went to a Korean restaurant on Route 1 close to Laurel. He can speak Korean, but he looks Arabic (crazy way for the genes to go I know). He ordered in Korean, but he said it usually shocks them when he speaks because he doesn't look Korean so what is he doing speaking their language.
Also, his mom came from a "noble" family and when she married his dad they kind of disowned her. They still helped her out when his dad left them, but they told him and his sister that they are not allowed to come to Korea. I don't know how they'd enforce that, but yeah crazy stuff.
You know I have my opinions about Koreans, so all I'll say is change their minds while you're there!! I know you'll have an impact. ^_^

VforVashaw said...

You should rename your blog "hodge-podge of beautiful"

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger