Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My Last Korean Trip: Jeju Island

So this is my last full week in Korea before I head back to my home country. Its been a hectic month with packing, goodbyes to be said, taking Korean classes (and not preparing for that exam, sike!), and mentally checking myself out of my 2nd home. So I am in Jeju Island for my last Korean hurrah trip, and its been really good. No rain, but it is cold for spring (and there's no global warming?). Even though this is Korea, it sometimes feels like another country.

So I get off the airplane, grab my case, and head into a taxi. After fiddling with the address for a few minutes and calling up my guesthouse for directions, the ajosshi (Korean for "uncle") hits me up with a deal to take me around the city for really cheap. Just out of nowhere. After settling in, he picks me up and takes me to five places in less than three hours, and he got a free dinner out of it (my shot).

Instead of figuring out buses or taking various taxies for more cash, I got a deal in one day on my first day in the island, and made a new friend. We tried Jeju Island's famous "black pork," made out of black pigs, and for two servings they hook you up! I ate so much I thought I would be next on the slaughtering block because I ate like a black pig! He also explained the history of the island when we went to museums, some of the folklore, the culture, and Jeju Island's unique language. To get a tour by a local is very neat thing. Also, the certain joy, even though I'm not fluent in Korean, to converse and discuss cultural things in another language at a high level, I felt like my experience here in South Korea is being completed as we speak.

The weather is very cold, brisk, and windy, but I'm thankful to the Lord because it is not rainy. I'm going to try to enjoy these last days in another Korean region, and next Monday, I'm outta here.

On a sad note, my grandfather passed away a few days ago. I will go home and pay my last respects to him someday. Rest in peace.

God Bless fam.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger