Thursday, April 23, 2009

Random Thoughts

1. "Scream It!" - I picked up the martial art of Hapkido recently. A Korean martial art, its an eclectic style that combines kicks and short range attacks with a lot of defensive locks and throws to disable your opponent. Its only my third week, but the workout is intense but very invigorating. One of my favorite parts of the art is the guttural scream that you are supposed to do before a kick, a roll, a stance, or a punch.

"Yah!" "Aigh!" I scream and attempt a kick...and barely pass muster. But, the release is good and gets alot of energy out of your system and towards your opponent and barrier. I was watching one of my favorite basketball players in the NBA, Carlos Boozer, and I love it how he just roars when he gets a basket while getting fouled. He yells in success while slapping a teammates hand...invigorating.

Screaming, not in anger, I believe is great for letting out energy. You don't have to be the Karate Kid, but yelling like Carlos Boozer when you get the job done or trying to kick has its uses.

2. Teaching - its cool. The kids are getting more stressed as mid-terms near, but I try to give these test taking robots some relief with my class, because learning should be fun and more experience driven. This year's freshmen class is a bit different from last year's class; they're a bit more laid-back and more active (an oxymoronic statement), so classes, thanks to our Lord, have been more smoother this year.

3. The Weather - its been up and down. Two weeks ago it was warm and the cherry blossoms were out in full bloom. This week has has been frigid and windy. Well, that beats when the humidity turns up to 90% and I'm sweating enough salt to supply Mickey D's for the week.

4. Trip to China - I'm headed to China for the first time in my life, and I'm kinda excited to take it to the Middle Kingdom and experience the culture there. We'll see what Shanghai has to offer. Three day road trip starting next Saturday.

5. 9th Wonder - the name of this hip-hop producer who takes old samples and just absolutely kills it with some wonderful snares and melodies. Just how hip-hop should be. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OtuN-JkbQ&feature=related.

6. Rice and kimchi - Korean food is a miracle food. Good for my mind and body, keeps me invigorated throughout the day.

7. In the midst of troubles, I can be a light.
Economic pains, seasonal rains in the midst of life,
A little girl's father lost her job,
While people running amuck, savings lost,
They just got robbed,
While ouncing to make a living,
I sit here pondering what I could be giving,
My money, my time, my talents, my skills,
I sit selfishly trying to pay my own bills,
It kills me to see a fake world gone wrong,
A little girl sits her in chair, her face so long,
Hope living in me, shine forth Holy Spirit,
If you ain't living the life, no one will hear it,
They put on a smile, yet looks so sad,
Cuz no one will ever listen to them about their dad,
Who drinks, and curses in the middle of the night,
While their little brother needs help from pain n' strife,
A helpless omma sees no hope,
A child broke, no one to cope,
"Step into the game my young one,"
I hear God call to me, I the adopted one,
"I put you here for a reason, get it done,"
I talk to this girl for one night, moment number one,
Next thing you know, through God's Spirit I hear,
"Well done, have no fear..."

One.

Marky

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger