Saturday, January 5, 2008

Back to Japan...Return of the Dragon

Classes are out for the winter break...but since Korea is the bastion of educational junkies, classes are not really out for winter break. From 8-12PM everyday, there are "supplemental classes" to make sure the children stay on top of their game. I know, its crazy in this country when it comes to the amount of effort kids put into education and you wonder why these kids just take a "huge nap," but you have to realize what it comes down to: competition. The other kid may get some more "education" (tutoring) elsewhere, so "I must take this extra class to stay ahead of the game." Its a tough life for the young one in this nation, but I know the system will crack sometime...

Another topic. Weather has warmed up recently after a spell of vicious Siberian winds pounding the peninsula lately. Today was a gorgeous day in Seoul, South Korea, as I went to my Korean class and went through the shopping district of Myeong-dong with a friend of mine.

I have to conduct three winter camps this January: two for my 1st and 2nd level students at Yeonsu High School, and recently I volunteered to take on a camp at a local girls' high school in another district in Incheon. I will definitely enjoy this period because I can work with a less amount of kids, be more relaxed with my boys, and just flat out have fun. What will get interesting is how this girls' camp is going to run, because I have never taught English to a bunch of lady students...we'll see the results in a few weeks.

Now, to the title of the post..."Back to Japan." For my winter break, I decided to go back to Japan. I just can't get enough of the Land of the Rising Sun! My teachers were also curious why I wanted to go back a second time.

The reason I'm going back is simple: I just like it. That's it. Its modern enough, and in some ways, more neo-futuristic enough to keep you amazed (in the cities) while maintaining a historical and natural aura to keep your mind engaged. Japan is historical and advanced in many ways, from technology (robotics and electronics) to its olden samurai eras (the many Shogunates that lead the chaotic nation).

Also, in respects to Korea, the two nations are similar enough to have some realistic expectations about their societies: such as top-down social orders, Asian work ethics and laws, and a sense of restraint and discipline to their peoples. So I have some sense of what I'm getting into when I enter a Japanese city.

However, the differences between Japanese and Koreans are different as night and day. I want to go back to do more "social/cultural" comparing between the two nations. I also want to practice and try more Japanese, which is clearly minimal now at the moment, but its a language that I eventually want to learn.

Perhaps this time around I can make more Japanese friends and perhaps a pen pal. That would be kinda cool.

So, towards the end of January, my new travel partner, Dave, and I will step back into the land of the Rising Sun...and see where God takes us as we take another angle on what life is like in East Asia.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger