Thursday, June 28, 2007

To the End...

Man time flies! I can't believe that I started teaching these goofballs in March. March felt like yesterday. Now we're nearing July, and I must say, I have had a great experience so far.

There are good times and bad times, but that's any job, no matter where you live. And the experiences outside of school have been special...all I want to do is more.

As a rookie teacher, I learned alot on the job, with virtulally no experience. All thanks to the giver of wisdom, almighty God. Just like Soloman, God has revealed some common sense things to me during my teaching tenure (and some of you who know me personally, I'm not the most common sense guy). Things like, "don't overreact to little things such as a kid who mocks your voice in class," or "never play a game where only one-third play and the rest sit." (Thirty boys who are bored is not fun)

I have not had bad moments in this gig, except for last week, which was just shocking (the Mrs. Elizabeth incident). There were moments where I wanted to lay the smackdown on their candy's tails, but for the most part, I have to remind myself, "they're just kids!" I too was once a high school student. Even though, out of prideful humility, I was a little more well behaved compared to most high school students, I too sometimes was goofy in the classroom when I should not have been.

And the things I learned about Korean life is amazing. As a foreigner I can gain insight on a lot of things about the Korean people that I never knew before: hard working, intelligent, passionate, and group-oriented. Koreans are helpful, a strong people, and perfectionists. You can see it in their lifestyles. Early to rise, late to go to bed, they try to make the most of everyday. Give them a task, its done.

The food is great here: kimchi has helped me fight this ridiculous cold I just caught, and its energizing food. But mom's Korean food is still the best, even though she faces stiff competition from her sisters. But Korean food contributes to a healthy lifestyle, something I really like being here in the Land of the Morning Calm.

Also, I love my lifestyle. I'm walking to work, I'm walking everywhere. Again, out of prideful humility, I dropped some "google-loo" off my face since coming here. ("Google-loo" is a term my Indian grandma uses to tease her grandchildren when they get pudgy, and my brother has always used that word to his advantage) Korean people are very blunt when it comes to personal appearances: so I have been told by teachers, students, and even a banker that I lost some poundage. Thanks to a small country like Korea, I exercise wherever I go. I like walking. My father once said that "walking is a spiritual exercise," because when you walk, you can ponder, and when you ponder, you can access the day with God in your mind. Some people prefer to jog as exercise, but the only thing on your mind is not running into a pedestrian and trying to maintain a good, brisk pace. In other words, Korea is good for your health!

Also as a foreigner, I also have the advantage of dissecting the needs of the Korean people: more diversity, more open-mindedness, and more receptiveness towards change. These come from a half-Korean who will probably will never be accepted as a "true Korean" in their eyes, all because of appearance. This is because Korea is a nation that prides itself on its homogeneaity (if the spelling is wrong, go suck a lemon), and on lineage. Where you from, who's your family, determines who you are. I am proud to say that I am an co-heir with Christ (Romans) and an adopted son of God. That's my lineage. On a more human level, my Korean grandfather was also an English teacher at Gongju Boys' High School. What do I do? I am an English teacher at Yeonsu Boys' High School. Destiny is cool.

My Korean speech has drastically improved since coming here. I have still have a long way to go, because I have only studied the language for only a year, but given the opportunities, I have learned about the cultural and grammatical uses of this complex, tonal language. My goal is to be a decent speaker by the time my parents visit in September. My rating for my Korean speech so far: basic conversation level, way better at listening since day one at Korean 101 at UMD.

My goals for the rest of the year, and into the summer, is to become more spiritually stronger in Christ (to witness to more people about Jesus), more adept at speaking Korean, and to become more outgoing in the classroom, and also, out of it. As a foreigner, I can take advantage and use my "foreigness" to become more of a character that the Koreans aren't used to, and give them someone new to meet and someone unexpected in their lives.

Well, that's pretty much it...I'll post more funny stories in the near future, but this is just a quick "half-year's resolution" into a few paragraphs. Have a great day in the United States.

"From KBS News in Incheon, good night, from Korea."

Mark P. Soni

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger