Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"Revenge is Sweet": Soni Scores 2

Last Sunday we had a foreign ministry church Sports' Day. All the foreign ministries were there: Indonesia, our English Ministry, Russia, Vietnam, Phillipines, China, and Mongolia.

We had to team up with Russia so we can make a full team, and we played sports like basketball, soccer, and balloon popping (of course, a Sports' Day is not complete until you have balloon popping).

So, we ended up trouncing China 5-2, me scoring the first goal (but technically, I "stole" the goal because the ball was going in, I just tapped it in). Then, we trounced Team China again in basketball, the scoring being 60-5 (just kidding, but it was a trouncing beyond recognition). For soccer, we had this boy I called the "Russian Rocket," named Sasha, who was skilled and kicked some major tail for us. Then we had this one Kazakh named Raxa who tore it up on defense. So basically, we used Russian imports to steam the Soviet Train to victory.

Then, we had to face Team Vietnam in the finals, and these guys were good, fast, and physical. The Russians on our team were getting really angry with some of the Vietnamese (and its just a church event too!) because of the physicality. The game ended 1-1, going to a dreaded PK shootout.

I volunteered to take the second shot...and I blew it. I shot it straight at the keeper, which I did not mean to do. The Vietnamese crowd were elated. I was not.

We lost the PK shootout 3-1, and the title. It was disheartening even though it was all in due fun. But I had a great time nonetheless.

Fast forward four days later, which is today, Wednesday.

We have our Sports' Day here at Yeonsu High School every year, and one of the favorite events of the day is the Teachers vs. Students Soccer Match, more like Grudge Match 2007. Its an opportunity to watch the students embarass their beloved teachers. I missed the first half of the game, but I got to go into the second half. There was a huge ovation for me coming in the game (because I'm the goofy foreigner who speaks English), and everyone wanted to see how well I do.

5 minutes into the second half...'GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLL!' MARK SONI, dribbles down the middle and slots it past the keeper! Since I never scored a goal in an "organized" game (especially in high school) in my life, I was like, "screw this...I'm celebrating." So I charged down the field with my fists flying in the air, soaking in the moment, and the students were roaring for me. It never felt soooo good.

20 minutes, and almost towards the end of the game, I charged down the field. We're on a counter-attack down the middle, and one of the teachers passes this beautiful pass towards goal, and the keeper is onrushing to get it out. But I manage to poke it past him, while tripping over him. 2nd goal, Mark Soni. We ended up winning 6-3 over the Young Bucks (the students), and I bagged two for memory. The senior students were so enthusiastic that they did the "Togo Dance" with me, the dance that Emmanuel Adebayor of Togo did when Togo scored the first goal against South Korea in the World Cup 2006.

What a day, and Sports' Day 2007 was a success for me. The previous teacher last year did not score a goal. I bagged two. But those goals are for God, because what He has done for me this whole time in Korea.

He was cheering me on too. He also cheers for you when you are trying to play this game called life.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger