Tuesday, March 6, 2007

God's Grace

So, I started work finally. I started Monday, and I had to give a presentation, in English of course, to the staff at Yeonsu Public High School. I thought it would be intimidating, but it was not that bad at all, and the staff, including the big wigs, were nice to me.

However the thing is, I won't be actually teaching this week, but next week. I don't know what's their logic behind it, but its okay in the fact that I can prepare for lessons next week, however, if you guys know me well, I don't like to sit at work and have nothing to do. Surfing the net is okay, but they kinda just put me in the "English Zone" section of the school and left me there. So for the past two days I've been chilling in my new office/classroom with not much to do except look at textbooks and conjure up ideas. At least I got a good idea of my first lesson.

However today was really exceptionally long. It just felt like it. I didn't get enough sleep last night, and I was getting frustrated with some of the kinks with my apartment (its somewhat dirty, the sinks are dirty, and my bathroom is too small to maneuver in), and then I had to go to the immigration office today (I never thought I would have to say that in my life, going to immigration), which I had to wait in a long line with my co-teacher. Basically, all foreign workers must register with the Immigration Office to get an Alien Registration Card (the equivalent of a green card, but try telling the illegals in our country to go do that!) Being tired today, I had an attitude problem, and I was starting to get a feeling of homesickness. That's natural for someone who lives far away after the feeling of excitement goes away. But, the Lord kept me going with verses, especially this one verse I read today from Revelations in which it said: "The Lord makes all things new." I felt renewed when I was at a point of being really tired. Before, I wasn't really in the mood of talking to my co-teacher on the ride up to the immigration office, and she could sense it in my eyes, but after remembering that verse, I had the opportunity to share my life and why I live it for God. It's a good starter for her to know that I live for a different purpose and with a desire to please God.

Later, so she wouldn't have to go all the way back to the school because its not on her way home, so she dropped me at the local subway station in Incheon, but was miles away from my home. So, I had to travel through an underground subway station, and the ride was home difficult. For one, when you are a foreigner in a land where you are not familiar with the language or not have too many friends, it can be mentally hard because its tough to watch all these Korean school children on the subway laughing and chatting the whole time while you are just the odd foreigner in the area. Then, I had to stop at Bupyeong Station, which is the center of Incheon, to find voltage adapters, and finally found some after much waiting. Then, after waiting for a long time at the immigration office, and finding what I needed, I could go home...

On the way home, I spontaneously started talking to this girl next to me on the subway who was studying an English book. I was reading my NBA mag, so just being friendly I sparked a conversation with her about her English studying, and I told her I was an American teaching English. Keep in mind, what I'm doing is way out of the norm in Korean life. Koreans are naturally an inward-centered culture, so that means if you are not part of their lives, its difficult to make any penetrations. Most friendships are naturally made in their childhood years, so people in Korea tend to make those their friendships for life. But in America, and especially as born-again Christians, brotherhood and sisterhood/friendships can be always an option. So, talking to this Korean lady was fun, because it gave me a chance to practice my Korean speech, which is hard getting used to because I always to speak English, and sometimes I jumble the two languages together.

Then, the unthinkable happened, more like it, God's Grace happened. Remember when I wrote about being frustrated with the kinks of my apartment? Well, when I got home, being exhausted as I am, and frustrated about today's "workload," my apartment look strangely different. Well first, my doorway light was working. I thought it was quite odd because it went out this morning, and I didn't ask anyone to fix it! Two, the room was strangely clean...everything was in order and the bed looked very nice. Three, there were extra dishes and appliances all about! I was like, "what happened!? This is the opposite of a robbery!" There was even a new rice pot with rice in it, and food in the fridge! Then, I found a note from my cousin and aunt.

My cousin wrote it in English, and bless his heart the grammar and spelling were off, but the message spoke more than an essay about Edgar Allan Poe: he basically wrote that he and his aunt stopped by and cleaned everything, and gave me all this stuff to use. He told me to work hard, and to do this: "Mark! Fighting!" In Korea, there is a phrase people use to get ready for a huge challenge ahead, and they say, "Paiting!" Koreans naturally cannot say the "ff" sound, so they say "paiting!," instead of "fighting!" See, my cousin knew that I was afraid of my job situation before it began, because I didn't know what I would be getting into, and he gave me encouragment to rock their world. It was really touching. He also told me he stopped smoking that weekend, because I was telling him about the dangers of cancer and how America has a huge problem with smoking, even though we made major advances in the fight against nicotine. Korea...hasn't.

So, I immediately prayed to God and thanked Him for His grace. After a long day, but persevearing through it, coming home exhausted, God gave me one of the best gifts a person could have: family. No doubt, extended family, whom I haven't known since my entire life, coming out of nowhere and giving the things I need to survive and cleaning my room...wow. I couldn't believe it, that's love for you.

So I thanked my cousin via a payphone (I can't get a cell phone until I get my "Green Card" back from immigration), and told him I will do my best at everything. Then I walked around for the rest of the night with joy in my heart, running through the streets of Incheon and did some window shopping.

What a day, what an adventure. After experiencing for the first time lonliness, frustration, and homesickness, I come home to find that I have...a home.

P.S. Let me tell you something on a side note...Korean shopping can be weird but an interesting experience. I went to a Puma store, my favorite brand, and the two sales ladies greeted me as is standard procedure of all retail worldwide. I thought that would be it, and I could just look and do my thing, browing the various items at the store. But, the whole time I was there they followed me and stood next to me, watching me and waiting to see if I would try to pick a shoe or jacket or something and then wait on me immediately. I felt so odd, I had to get out of there! Yet they said to come back. Even when I went into a McDonald's just to use the bathroom, the front lady yells her greetings to me, and even as I leave, not even buying anything, she yells at me "goodbye and come back!" in Korean. Really funny, but I admire their honest work ethics and their spirit.

2 comments:

egreb said...

Praise the Lord! He is ALWAYS faithful and so good! What a way to end your day that day (coming home to a clean place, with food in the fridge, new rice cooker...). Press on Marky!! We continue to pray for you brother.

ShellyBean said...

Wow awesome blog Mark. I definately will be checking it regularly.
Gods blessings be upon you continually.

Agape,

Michelle

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger