Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Second Blog: How I Got this Gig, part one.

Well, how did I decide to go to South Korea in the first place? Well, it took place in the Summer of 2005, when I first went to South Korea for the first time since I was a baby. It's a fascinating story.

Korea has obviously changed since I was born (84'), and going back was a special moment in my life. After getting over some culture shock of Korean culture and meeting some family I haven't seen my whole life, I was really enjoying being in this foreign, yet familiar land. My mom's best friend and her son were taking me to Insadong, which is a very famous art district in the middle of the capital, Seoul. I was at one particular art store, browsing through many antiques of the old Koryo Dynasty days (don't ask me about the history of the Koryo Dynasty), and I happened to talk to a Canadian who was also at the same store.


We did the usual small talk, then I asked him what he was doing here in Korea. He told me he taught English at a school, and said it was the easiest job he has ever had. I was like, "really?" Beforehand, I thought that most foreigners who worked in countries like Korea, China, and Japan were businessmen, merchants, missionaries, or teachers who were required to speak the natives' language. But then he tells me that all you need is a regular, 4-year degree and that's it, as long as you speak English as your first language. I was like, "You got to be kidding me." He told me it was a great job and you have the benefit of traveling around a nice land, and they pay you to do it, all expenses covered, from airfare, lodging, and benefits of health care and pension. What a package!

After wrapping up my 2-week stint in the Motherland (and believe me, it was not enough to experience the whole culture), I thought about this whole idea of traveling some more. Throughout my college career, I never had the opportunity to study abroad due to financial reasons, which I was okay with because I did not like the idea of my parents or myself paying mad $$$ for a short stint in a foreign country anyway. So, I did some research online about how to get a English teaching gig in South Korea. It seemed simple, because the minimum requirement is a B.A. or B.S. in ANY discipline, as long as you were a native English speaker from the major speaking countries such as the US, Canada, New Zealand etc. I thought, well, this might more simpler now.

Keep in mind at the time I was working an internship for the government, which was a cushy job with good pay, considering my age. But, as graduation loomed, I was looking around my government building settings and asking myself, "Mark, do you really want to be sitting in an office chair for the next five to ten years?" Because, seriously, that life is cool for some, but not for me, because it can get really repetitive, really quick, and I know that 9-5 is my impending doom in the long-term future anyway! (Sitting in a chair all day, getting fat, and producing paper/numbers) Then, after some prayer and guidance, I decided I wanted to do this, because this is the only shot I got: I'm still young with energy, curious about the world and my heritage, and I do not have a girlfriend (which I hope it might change when I go TO Korea :0). Why not do it when I can?

Well, unfortunately, it is 2:46AM Wednesday morning, and I am dead tired, so I'll finish this wonderful story tomorrow, it really is a great story, but in due time...

Check out my Wizards-Timberwolves game photos from 2/20/2007 later.

No comments:

Get It Done...

Get It Done...
2010: The Year of the Soni Tiger